Terms & Conditions
Data held by iDream Hypnotherapy will be held lawfully and for the retention periods set out in section B of this policy document.
This document refers to:
• Written Documents
• Hardcopy case notes and files
• Database entries
• Text messages
• Visits to the organization’s website
• Social media communication
Aim and Purpose
The purpose of this document is to ensure that iDream Hypnotherapy has a framework that ensures the rights and freedom of individuals in relation to their personal data (Article 1) and adheres to best practice in the management of client information and business records.
Information Governance sets out the way in which information collated by an organization is managed and ensures that any information collected;
• is the right information
• is in the right place
• at the right time
• with the right people
• for the right reasons
This is a live document and may be updated at any time to reflect changes in law or growth of the business, and therefore should be revisited regularly to check for any updates. iDream Hypnotherapy is fully committed to ensuring clients privacy and data protection rights.
For the purpose of this policy Mariana Babas is the named Data Protection Officer/Controller and Head of Organization.
Information Governance Framework Principles for iDream Hypnotherapy
1. Assessment needs for Information Governance (IG) Training have been identified and fully met, with a 75-minute GDPR CPD Course provided by the Clinical Hypnotherapy School () completed. Refresher training is completed every two years.
2. Any changes to the business processes and/or operations will be planned and will comply with the framework to ensure any risks to personal and sensitive information are minimized.
3. Any data collected is solely for the purpose of providing a person-centered service to an individual client and by way of voluntary opt in, for research purposes.
4. The Caldicott Principles are used to provide guidance in best practice when handling personal data, alongside the ICO’s Office Codes of Practice. (
5. All technology [Microsoft Office products including Outlook] used to store or facilitate information and communication is maintained according to the Data Retention Policy for iDream Hypnotherapy.
6. All records are identifiable, locatable, retrievable, and intelligible according to regulations set out by GDPR.
7. It is the responsibility of the Data Controller to ensure sufficient resources are in place to prioritize adhering to Data Protection Legislation in the business.
9. Any electronic devices where personal or sensitive, confidential information is held will be password protected. Individual documents stored electronically will also contain individual passwords.
10. Procedures have been put in place to ensure the General Data Protection Regulations are met. These can be found in Section C.
Privacy Notice: Use of information
In accordance with this data retention schedule there may be occasions when data is not destroyed due to ongoing investigation, ligation or enquiry. The data will be deleted upon confirmation that it is no longer required.
On some occasions anonymized personal data will be retained whereby a client has provided a testimonial for use on the organizations website. When data is non-identifiable GDPR law is no longer applicable. [Non-identifiable means that if this data was left on a bus, no one, including the data subject would be able to identify that this data was relating to them.]
• Personal information is collated and stored in hardcopy in a locked filing cabinet behind a locked door.
• Any document containing personal data will state “Official-sensitive, private and confidential” clearly.
• All emails will contain a privacy statement.
Under the General Data Protection and Retention (2018) legislation, regarding how your personal data is processed, all individuals have;
• the right to be informed;
• the right of access;
• the right to rectification;
• the right to erasure;
• the right to restrict processing;
• the right to data portability;
• the right to object; and
• the right not to be subject to automated decision-making including profiling.
Please note that iDream Hypnotherapy does not use automated decision-making tools, including profiling.
iDream Hypnotherapy uses a third-party provider, Hootsuite, from time to time to manage its social media interactions. Any messages sent to the inbox of social media accounts are stored by Hootsuite and permanently deleted after three months. Their Privacy notice can be found here:
iDream Hypnotherapy also uses a Facebook business page as a stand-alone means of disseminating information to a wider audience. I do not send unsolicited personal messages from this account and any messages received and replied to from clients will be deleted within 3 months and a copy kept within the hard copy client notes.
Clifton Practice Outcomes Research Project (CORP)
Individual clients have the option to voluntarily engage with this research programme. Information gathered includes first name, age, reason for seeking therapy, postal town, and rating scales regarding progress. A unique code is produced and this code along with the numerical data only is collated both by iDream Hypnotherapy and The CORP team. No client identifiable information is shared with the CORP Team.
Hard copy data will be destroyed via a cross shredding machine owned by the organization or burned; electronic data will be permanently deleted.
What is the lawful basis for processing data at iDream Hypnotherapy?
Consent in relation to communication: the individual has given clear consent for their data to be processed for the specific purpose/s detailed in the consent form stored in their personal file.
1. Processing of personal data revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, or trade union membership, and the processing of genetic data, biometric data for the purpose of uniquely identifying a natural person, data concerning health or data concerning a natural person's sex life or sexual orientation shall be prohibited.
2. Paragraph 1 shall not apply if one of the following applies:
(h) processing is necessary for the purposes of preventive or occupational medicine, for the assessment of the working capacity of the employee, medical diagnosis, the provision of health or social care or treatment or the management of health or social care systems and services on the basis of Union or Member State law or pursuant to contract with a health professional and subject to the conditions and safeguards referred to in paragraph 3;
3. Personal data referred to in paragraph 1 may be processed for the purposes referred to in point (h) of paragraph 2 when those data are processed by or under the responsibility of a professional subject to the obligation of professional secrecy under Union or Member State law or rules established by national competent bodies or by another person also subject to an obligation of secrecy under Union or Member State law or rules established by national competent bodies.
This means that iDream Hypnotherapy does not require consent to hold your data to provide a service, but does require your consent to contact you for specific purposes. Participating in the service by attending more than one appointment implies that you agree with the Terms and Conditions provided to you at the commencement of service delivery.
Description of processing
The following is a broad description of the way this organization/data controller processes personal information. Clients wishing to understand how their own personal information is processed may choose to read the Terms and Conditions for treatment document, which compliments the policies detailed here.
Reasons/purposes for processing information
iDream Hypnotherapy processes personal information to enable the provision of Psychotherapy and Hypnotherapy, to advertise services, to maintain accounts and records and for research purposes.
Type/classes of information processed
iDream Hypnotherapy processes information relevant to the above reasons/purposes. This information may include:
• personal details
• family, lifestyle and social circumstances
• goods and services
• financial details
• employment and education details
iDream Hypnotherapy also processes sensitive classes of information that may include:
• physical or mental health details
• racial or ethnic origin
• religious or other beliefs of a similar nature
• offences and alleged offences
iDream Hypnotherapy processes personal information about:
• business contacts
• professional advisers
All personal and sensitive data held by iDream Hypnotherapy is held securely. Electronic data stored on a computer is stored on a password protected computer, in password protected documents held on the W: Drive of the computer. This supports the ability to retrieve data in the event of faults. Hardcopy data is held securely in a locked cabinet behind a locked door.
In the case of a data breach iDream Hypnotherapy shall comply with the regulations set out under Article 33 of the GDPR;
1. In the case of a personal data breach, the data controller shall without undue delay and, where feasible, not later than 72 hours after having become aware of it, notify the personal data breach to the ICO, unless the personal data breach is unlikely to result in a risk to the rights and freedoms of the individual. Where the notification to the ICO is not made within 72 hours, it shall be accompanied by reasons for the delay.
2. The notification referred to in paragraph 1 shall at least:
(a) describe the nature of the personal data breach including where possible, the approximate number of data subjects concerned and the categories (e.g. sessions notes, phone numbers) and approximate number of personal data records concerned;
(b) communicate the name and contact details of the data controller where more information can be obtained;
(c) describe the likely consequences of the personal data breach;
(d) describe the measures taken or proposed to be taken by the controller to address the personal data breach, including, where appropriate, measures to mitigate its possible adverse effects.
4. Where, and in so far as, it is not possible to provide the information at the same time, the information may be provided in phases without undue further delay.
5. The controller shall document any personal data breaches, comprising the facts relating to the personal data breach, its effects and the remedial action taken. That documentation shall enable the supervisory authority to verify compliance with this Article.
6. In the event that a data breach will likely cause a risk to the rights and freedoms of client data, the data controller must communicate the nature of the breach in clear, concise and plain language, to the client/s involved, without delay.
7. If a breach occurs but the data controller has gone to appropriate lengths to protect the data held on the client (e.g. password encryption of electronic files), or if the data controller has taken subsequent action to prevent the risk (e.g. immediately blocking a mobile device) then notifying the client will not be required.
Subject Access Request
A Subject Access Requests (SAR) permits individuals to request a copy of their personal information.
A SAR must be acted upon within one month, at the most within two months, any longer and reasonable reason must be provided. There are no fees unless there is a disproportionate fee to the organization for sending out the information. Application for SAR should be held alongside session records, unless application was made after six years of the end of treatment. In which case the SAR will be held for a further two years after closure of SAR.
A SAR request will include information we hold about you, iDream Hypnotherapy will:
• give you a description of it;
• tell you why we are holding it;
• tell you who it could be disclosed to; and
• let you have a copy of the information in an intelligible form.
SAR requests should be put in writing to iDream Hypnotherapy. A response may be provided informally over the telephone with your agreement, or formally by letter or email. If any information held is noted to be incorrect an individual can request a correction be made to their own personal information. This should be made in writing to iDream Hypnotherapy.
Right to Erasure
Any person may put in a request for their personal data to be removed (the ‘right to be forgotten’ or the ‘right to erasure’). In this instance hard copy data will be shredded using a cross shredding machine owned by the organization and any electronic data will be permanently deleted. The client will be notified of the completion. The request for deletion of data and the confirmation of completion will be held securely until eight years after the request was made.
iDream Hypnotherapy hopes to the meet the highest quality standards when processing personal and sensitive data. Complaints can help identify areas for improvement and therefore iDream Hypnotherapy would welcome you raising any concerns you have.
These Information Governance Policy documents were created to be as transparent and understandable as possible. It will not be completely exhaustive of all aspects of data collection. If you would like further information about a specific process, please contact iDream Hypnotherapy.
If you feel you would like to make a complaint about how your personal and sensitive data is handled by iDream Hypnotherapy you can contact iDream Hypnotherapy directly. In the event that iDream Hypnotherapy cannot resolve your complaint to your satisfaction you can contact the Information Commissioners Office on 0303 123 1113.
Safeguarding your Privacy
In the event of my death or sudden illness, a Solution Focused Clinical Hypnotherapist who is registered with the ICO and adheres to their requirements for data protection will contact existing clients and archive any client files in accordance with General Data Protection Regulations.